Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day Meme!

I've never done a meme before but couldn't resist, it being Labor Day and all ...

First, a hat tip to Rocks in my Drier for starting this Labor Day meme!

  • How long were your labors? 
#1 --  24-36 hours 
#2 -- 4.5 hours
#3 -- Not sure how to answer b/c labor stalled in the middle. Technically, 4-5  hours, but I had about 1 hour of early labor, stalled for a couple hours, and then once it resumed a little over 2 hours until he was born.
  • How did you know you were in labor? 
#1 -- it was a gradual start with menstrual-like rhythmic contractions.
#2 -- after a week of prodromal labor, contractions started fast and furious.
#3 -- strong menstrual-like rhythmic contractions that suddenly stopped after an hour. Midwife checked me, and I was at 2. Midwife thought it would be several more hours. After a nice quiet massage from DH, though, they roared back into a very fast pace.
  • Where did you deliver?
All at home ...

#1 -- tried to do a water birth but water cooled off and I had to get out
#2 -- tried to do a water birth but didn't have time to fill up tub (thought it would be long again. Heh)
#3 -- finally had a water birth, but it still hurt like heck! (His hand was up by his face when he delivered, and he was 9 lbs. 3 oz.)
  • Drugs?
No. I know they're really bad for the baby, and I realized that only by being at home where (1) drugs aren't available, and (2) natural labor is better supported, would I be able to do what's best for the baby and avoid all drugs and/or anesthesia.
  • C-section? 
Thank Goddess, no! But I'm sure the first birth would have been if I'd been in the hospital. She was asynclitic and posterior, and I had a very long labor.
  • Who delivered?
Midwives at all of them (sort of), in this order:

#1 -- Direct Entry Midwife 
#2 -- Certified Professional Midwife, but technically, DH "caught" him with midwife off to the side. This was my orgasmic birth!
#3 -- Certified Nurse-midwife (who had been apprentice trained first before going to CNM school)

No comments: