Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Belly Dance and Birth

My first birth was very long, in part because the baby's position was less than perfect, being both posterior and asynclitic. (See this excellent website for more info on optimal fetal positioning.)

Eventually it resolved after the midwife helped me to walk the stairs and swing my hips. Now, lookign back, I wonder if I would have avoided it altogether by being familiar belly dance. I have since studied belly dance, and according to others present, I used a lot of belly dance type moves in my subsequent births.

There are belly dance videos and classes available for pregnant moms. Just be careful to avoid sharp, sudden popping moves. Otherwise, this can be a wonderful prenatal exercise that helps you learn to control your pelvic muscles and might assist you in an active labor, to help ease your birth.

Check out this beautiful video of pregnant belly dancing!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hi Warriormom: I just caught your comment on my blog about my retirement; thank you. It's really not a complete retirement; I'm going to continue to do some births and at some point, who knows? I just really feel that the other things I'm working on ( M.A. in Human Development; Intern Spiritual Director ) are things I need to do now and I also really feel that I have to be a Midwifery advocate in my own voice, with my own ideas which became very, very hard to accomplish as various NARM board members were trying to get me to "tone down" my rhetoric on midwifery education and, well, I can't quite understand the idea of midwives attempting to censor other midwives; but that's what was happening. So, I've stopped out and we'll see. I am doing a birth in November for a repeat client and I'm sure more will come down the pike. Thank you for your support though, it means a lot.